We understand that we receive the Holy Spirit in Baptism. At Confirmation, the power of the Holy Spirit is “released” to work “en bene esse,” that is, to become fully active in ever greater abundance in and through those confirmed.
The Confirmation process includes parents and, if possible, sponsors. Informational sessions, service projects and assignments are all completed as a family. Parents are the primary educators of faith and the process of Confirmation Preparation is modeled to build the faith life of the entire family in a way that will ignite the spirituality of the Confirmation Candidates.
Sponsors are invited and encouraged to attend all sessions, if possible.
1. Confirmation candidates select a sponsor by the time of the first Confirmation session who is a witness and companion to the candidate, offering support and encouragement on their faith journey. Sponsors should be willing to share their own faith journey with the candidate and be available for discussion and sharing of monthly faith sharing activities. A baptismal godparent is the recommended Confirmation sponsor.
Sponsors are asked to submit a letter indicating they are registered and active in the parish they attend and are qualified to serve as sponsors.
2. Sponsors must be sixteen years of age, as designated by Canon law (Can. 874 #2).
3. They must have celebrated the Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation & Eucharist.
4. If married, sponsor must be married according to church law.
5. Parents cannot be sponsors (Can. 874 #5).