Welcome to the Sacrament Preparation Program!
The Church has long held that parents/guardians are the primary educators of their children. Our process at Holy Spirit is to provide opportunities for spiritual growth for both parents and children. We understand it is a privilege to witness our faith to our children and that parents should be directly involved in their child’s catechetical formation. Parents should also be aware that daily family life experiences are the basis for sacramental formation.
In addition to attending regular grade level Faith Formation classes, preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation involves family-centered catechesis. Parents and children come together several times during the course of the preparation for faith sharing activities, prayer, and spiritual enhancement. Parents/guardians also have one parent-only required session for each sacrament. Activities are also given to the family to be completed at home, including service projects.
Sacrament formation is offered to the families of children who were baptized as infants and are currently involved in a continuing faith formation process.
Questions regarding sacrament preparation may be directed to the Office of Faith Formation:
The following guidelines have been established according to diocesan requirements
and apply to all sacraments.
- Parents/guardians are to be registered members of the parish.*
- Students must be 7 years of age or older (2nd Grade) and be baptized in the Catholic tradition.*
- Students preparing for Confirmation must be in the 8th Grade or older.
- Students must be enrolled and regularly attend Children’s Faith Formation or Youth Ministry.*
- Students must have actively participated in Faith Formation/Youth Ministry classes at Holy Spirit or another parish for ONE FULL YEAR prior to registering for sacrament formation.*
- Any student transferring from another parish must provide documentation showing that they meet these requirements.
- All students are expected to regularly attend Faith Formation/Youth Ministry classes. After two unexcused class absences, contact will be made regarding your child’s attendance. Further absences will effect continued sacrament preparation.
- Students and parents/guardians, and Confirmation sponsors, if possible, ARE REQUIRED to attend all scheduled sacrament preparation sessions and complete the monthly family faith assignments.*
- A copy of the candidate’s baptismal certificate must be provided when registering for sacrament formation.*
- Students who are developmentally challenged or who have learning disabilities are also welcome in the formation process. Particular care and understanding of their needs and situation are important to our pastoral staff. Parents/guardians are advised to meet with the Faith Formation Office to discuss how these children can participate in the sacramental and faith life of our church community.
- If there are any custodial issues which will effect you or your child’s Faith Formation or sacramental session attendance, that information must be recorded and on file with the Faith Formation Office.
- Attendance at the Parent Only Session for Reconciliation, First Communion and/or Confirmation is MANDATORY. Failure to attend will result in deletion from the sacramental preparation program.
- Regular mass attendance is also expected of your child, as part of their continuing faith journey, and as enhancement to their Faith Formation/Youth Ministry classes.
- Parents/guardians are to discern the readiness of their child to receive First Reconciliation, participate in the Communion Rite and/or celebrate Confirmation. If it is deemed that a child is not ready to receive the sacrament, the parents/guardians are advised to contact the Faith Formation Office to discern whether the child should wait or if alternative ways can be found to assist the parents/guardians in bringing the child to readiness.
- There is a separate materials and preparation expense per child per sacrament. This is in addition to the regular registration fee for Faith Formation classes. If payment is a difficulty, please contact the Faith Formation Office. Inability to pay should never be a reason to miss preparing for the sacraments.
* Families that home school in all areas and use an approved Catholic Religious Education Program for the religious education of their child(ren) are to comply with all guidelines indicated by the * and meet with the Faith Formation Office prior to enrolling in our parish sacramental program.